Gumbo Cookoff: February 22, 2020 - Morning
Doors open to the public at 8 am for the Cajun Extravaganza and Gumbo Cook-off at the Civic Center. Amateur and professional teams will stir up hundreds of gallons of rich, spicy gumbo and serve it to the public. This is a Mardi Gras tradition among krewes, professionals and amateurs in Southwest Louisiana. The event is a must-be-there mix of award winning food, floor-stomping music, and the down-home spirit of Mardi Gras. Our own team of seasoned experts (consisting of Keith Green, Marshall LaFosse, Mark LeJeune, Marc Benton and James Guidry) will be cooking chicken & sausage gumbo, trying to score that 1st Place trophy again. So wear your Krewe shirts and come on out and help our our new Court, (Clearly the BEST Court Ever) and cheer them on! If you've never been to one, this is the best $5 you will ever spend to get in, sample gumbo from dozens of different teams and listen to some rocking live Cajun music. Gumbo judging begins at 11 am and right after that, gumbo will be served to the public until 1:30 p.m. Come help support our Krewe members who work so hard to cook the best gumbo around.
Children’s Parade: February 23, 2020 - Afternoon
At present, loading the floats will begin at 11 am in the football parking lot east of the McNeese Alumni Center after the DJ has been able to set up sound equipment. No one will be allowed to board the floats before this time. The floats will leave for the Civic Center at 12:00 pm, and parade rolls at 3:30 pm. Because of changing weather conditions, please be aware that this may change. If you have any questions about riding, contact Joan Bloomfield at 568-8978 or 274-9977.
For those not riding the floats, the Krewe's newly refurbished (thanks to Marshall LaFosse) BBQ wagon will be fired up for lunch at our usual headquarters in the parking lot of Flavin Realty, 3221 Ryan St. There will be free grilled hot dogs for the kids and you're welcome to bring and burn your own fast cooking meats such as sausage, boudin, ribs, steaks, etc. So come join us for a laid back relaxing day and don't forget to pack a lawn chair or two.
Robbie Ortego will have Krewe merchandise for sale that day also.
Since Dan Flavin has been gracious enough to allow us to again set up in his parking lot, PLEASE do your part and keep the grounds as clean as possible. We are responsible for cleaning up afterwards, so try to pick up any trash you see on the ground.
Joan Bloomfield is now collecting riding fees for both the Children's Parade & Krewe of Krewes Parade. Only Krewe du Lac Members are allowed to ride our floats. Cash or checks will be accepted. Cost is $10 per child for Children's Parade (free to accompanying adult) & $20 per adult for Krewe of Krewes parade.
5614 Joli Bois Dr.
Lake Charles, La 70605
Children's Parade Rules:
1. Cost to ride is $10 per child, adults ride free. You will not be considered registered until payment for each child is received by Joan Bloomfield in person or by mail. All children registered to ride must be 3 – 20 years old
2. At present, we will be loading the float in the football parking lot east of the McNeese Alumni Center beginning at 11:00 am and ONLY after the DJ has been able to set up their equipment. No one will be allowed to board the floats before this time. The floats will leave for the Civic Center at 12:00 pm, and parade rolls at 3:30 pm. Because of changing weather conditions, please be aware that this may change
3. There are no assigned or designated areas for anyone including court members. This parade is for the children and both floats will be loaded according to who is in line and present when loading begins
4. Each child gets 2 nails for hanging their beads, the width of one person
5. NO ALCOHOL will be allowed on either float for this parade. There will be hamburgers, hotdogs juice & water at the Civic Center for the kids on the floats
6. The floats are limited to 40 CHILDREN per float. We would like to have 2 children/1 adult. ONLY the children are allowed to be at the railings. Adults will stand behind the kids
7. Once there are a total of 80 children signed up to ride, the registration will close
8. Beads are not furnished, so bring plenty of your own beads and throws
9. You can bring a milk crate, nothing larger, for the kids to stand on
10. Everyone must wear a costume or Krewe t-shirt.
Royal Gala: February 24, 2020
The Cinderella night of Mardi Gras manifests on Mardi Gras eve with a lavish promenade consisting of the full courts of more than 60 krewes. Kings, queens, royal dukes and duchesses, captains, courtesans and jesters will be showing off their newest costumes.
Please wear your Krewe du Lac colors and come out and cheer on our new and Clearly THE Court Ever as they strut their stuff at the Civic Center!
Tickets are $7 in advance, or $8 at the door. Children 5 and under are admitted for free. Advance tickets can be purchased at Gordon's Drug Store and the Party Time Store.
Mardi Gras Day: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - All Day! - Parking lot of Flavin Realty, 3221 Ryan St.
Tuesday is Mardi Gras, the big day, all day! Our Krewe will again have a secured area in the parking lot of Flavin Realty, 3221 Ryan St. Our refurbished BBQ wagon (thanks to Marshall LaFosse) will be fired up and available for people who want to bring & burn their own fast cooking food. We will be cooking up a big pot of gumbo which can be had for a $1 donation. You are also encouraged to bring a side dish, dessert or snack to share with others too.
A D.J. will be playing your favorite tunes for those who want to dance and we'll be toasting our new Best Court Ever! We'll also have samples of grilled sausage, boudin and/or other goodies that generous members provide throughout the morning.
You are encouraged to bring a side dish, dessert or snack to share with others too. So pack up your ice chests and lawn chairs and come out and enjoy the parade and the fellowship of Krewe membership!
Since Dan Flavin has been gracious enough to allow us to again setup in his parking lot, PLEASE do your part and keep the grounds as clean as possible. We are responsible for cleaning up afterwards, so try to pick up any trash you see on the ground. Any volunteers who can help take down the plastic fence and pack up the BBQ wagon after the parade is over would also be greatly appreciated! Krewe Members & Guests.
Krewe of Krewes Parade Riding Rules
1. Adults only. Cost to ride is $20 per adult. No one under the age of 21 is allowed to ride in this parade. You are not considered registered to ride until payment is received by Joan Bloomfield, in person or by mail.
2. We will begin loading the float in the parking lot next to the McNeese Alumni Center at 1:00 pm and leave for the Civic Center at 2:00 pm and parade rolls at 5:00 pm. No one will be allowed to board the floats until after the DJ has set up their equipment.
3. Registration will be limited to 50 person maximum on the Membership float and is on a 1st come/1st serve basis only. Registration will close after all 50 slots have been filled.
4. Beer, water and soft drinks will be provided.
5. Beads are not furnished, so bring plenty of beads and throws.
6. Everyone must be in costume.
Please send all registration money to Joan in person or by mail:
5614 Joli Bois Drive
Lake Charles, LA 70605
Make checks payable to Krewe du Lac Contact number: 568-8978 or 274-9977
If you have any questions concerning the Krewe or any of our events scheduled, below is the list of the hard working board members who are always more than happy to help you out:
Captain Chris Owen: email@example.com
Jon Lafleur: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robbie Ortego: email@example.com
Joan Bloomfield: firstname.lastname@example.org
Donnie Martin: email@example.com
Alicia LeBlanc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keith Green: email@example.com
Chad Bertrand: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Reggie: email@example.com
Clarice LaFosse: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Boudreaux: email@example.com
Email Notices: I send out email notices to our members throughout the year, announcing upcoming events, special projects we'll be working on, members who have passed away and other important Krewe notices that usually aren't in the Newsletters. If you are not receiving them or would like me to send it to an additional email address, please send an email to: and ask that your name be added to the list.